Répondre

Unlinking to wrong parent

Ask for help on any topic related to the Geneanet website. Report a bug. Make a suggestion.
asefsargent
asefsargent
Saisie : Standard
Navigation : Arbre
Voir son arbre
I cannot figure out how to unlink a child (and all her information) from the grandparent and reassign that child to the proper parent. I saw a previous message that said to go to the mother and select "edit family" but that is no longer an option. Is there anyway I can reassign this person from their grandparent to their father (who I now have wrongly listed as their brother)? Or do I simply have to delete them and enter all the information again under the current parent? Thank you.
jyb
jyb
Administrator
Navigation : Fiche
Voir son arbre

Re: Unlinking to wrong parent

Message par jyb »

You must go to one of the grandparents, click "Edit" then "Edit relationship" in the menu, then "Remove link between all of these persons" at the bottom of the edit form.

The grandparents and all their children will be unlinked.

You will then have to go to each of the chidren and link them to their correct parents.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips
asefsargent
asefsargent
Voir son arbre
Thank you for the reply. I think I will just delete this one person and enter them again under their correct parent rather than lose all the links to the grandparents.

It would be great if there were some way to delete/move individuals and not lose all the links.

But thank you!
c0r1nna1978gen
c0r1nna1978gen
Voir son arbre
I have been trying to find a solution to the "wrong parent" problem. After several hours I have not found a solution
I find this:

I have a child that is listed with the wrong mother. I am wondering if there is a way to change this without deleting either one? I have a feeling that this could be a problem with several on my tree.
Post 29 June 2016, 15:19
First you must remove the link between mother and child:
- go to the mother
- click "Individual > Edit family" in the menu; this will open an edit form
- at the bottom of the form, click "Remove link" in front of the child name
Then link the child to their mother:
- go to the child
- click "Add parent"
- enter the name of the mother and it will ask you if it's a new person or not

I do not find that an edit form appears.

I have been trying to find solution for hours
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hello,
c0r1nna1978gen a écrit : 14 février 2022, 12:41 Post 29 June 2016, 15:19
Where did you find this information? This is 2022 ;)

Go to one of the parents, click the pen below and select Edit relationship.
It will open an Edit family form. At the bottom of this form, you will see the children, click "Remove link" next to the child you want to separate from his / her mother.

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
c0r1nna1978gen
c0r1nna1978gen
Voir son arbre
Yes I wondered why I could not find a more recent reply to this kind of query. Great ! Many thanks. After changing the mother I now find
that the children are now linked to the correct parents but there is an "empty" 3rd wife of dad's. Perhaps he was hiding a concubine ? I can't delete this person
Que faire ?
c0r1nna1978gen
c0r1nna1978gen
Voir son arbre
PS
I use 3 systems
Ancestry
MyHeritage
Geneanet
the problem started when I imported a gedcom file from Ancestry, which is perfectly in order, into my geneanet database
Rather worrying, it will happen again, I tried 3 times. I checked a few other entries where there are parents with children from more than one partner, but with 5200 entries it's impossible to check them all
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigation : Fiche
Voir son arbre
Hi,

I'm assuming you're using one of those trees as your "master" and updating your other trees via GEDCOM. In this case, it's best to fix the master tree. There might be issues in your Ancestry tree that are not obvious on that platform but only show up after a GEDCOM export.

I have found that the free app Ancestris generates a very thorough report of any issues found in a GEDCOM file, even if they are not "breaking" issues. I check a GEDCOM copy of my tree with that app once in a while just to check for issues, then correct those issues in my master tree.

Eric
Répondre

Revenir à « Geneanet Help & Support »