Répondre

What does this even mean?

Ask for help on any topic related to the Geneanet website. Report a bug. Make a suggestion.
susanq
female
Saisie : Standard
Navigation : Arbre
Voir son arbre
Got the following email after I had uploaded my gedcom file:
"Your Geneanet Family Tree Root (Sosa/Ahnentafel number #1) has been automatically set. This will give you access to advanced family tree features."

So, with my tree of 3500 people, the program picked out one guy - a distant cousin - and that seems to be who it has chosen. What they are doing, I have no idea. And what "Sosa/Ahnentafel number #1" means, again no clue.

Is there a How to for this site?
kallikrates
kallikrates
Navigation : Fiche
Voir son arbre
Hi,

Sosa #1 is the starting point of the tree, the person whose ancestors you're mostly researching. Generally, it's you or your children. I'm not sure how the default one is chosen the first time you upload a Gedcom, but it's very hit or miss. The good news is, if you upload a new Gedcom to update your tree, your chosen Sosa #1 won't change.

To change it manually, you have to go there. From there you have most of the configurations options in the lefthand sidebar.

There are some FAQs here : https://en.geneanet.org/help/

I'm not aware of any tutorials in English, but the forums are friendly, so don't hesitate to ask questions :)

Regards,
K
susanq
female
Voir son arbre
Thanks done. Having worked only on ancestry.ca for decades, this is all Greek to me.
snowmedic
snowmedic
Voir son arbre
Okay, I'm confused My root defaulted to someone before AD and doesn't have a last name. I follow the link to change it and get this:

"Type the the first letters of the Family Tree Root (Sosa/Ahnentafel number #1)

Select the root person in your family tree (Sosa/Ahnentafel #1): it can be you, one of your children or grandchildren.
The root person will be shown on your family tree home page to help you browse your ancestry. It also enable the automatic email alerts and the matches.

The Family Tree Root (Sosa/Ahnentafel number #1) has not been defined.

Type the first letters of the name and first name"

I put my initials in: The boxes turn red and there's nothing in there. I can't get past that. The FAQ doesn't tell me anything new. Pls help!
kallikrates
kallikrates
Voir son arbre
Hi,

That's weird.

Have you tried typing in your full name? Normally there should be a spinner below, then it shows the list of people that have those letters in the name. It works even with one letter each, though it's not very useful, depending on how many people you have in your tree.
Capture d’écran 2020-09-21 101730.png
Best,
K
snowmedic
snowmedic
Voir son arbre
Now I get messages that my ancient ancestors are their own ancestors. Oh well. Thanks for the quick response.
jyb
jyb
Administrator
Voir son arbre

Re: What does this even mean?

Message par jyb »

Yes, Titus Flavius SABINUS VII is his own father or grandfather in your family tree. You must remove this link because we don't accept family tree loops on Geneanet.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips
Répondre

Revenir à « Geneanet Help & Support »