Names and first names
Origin of the name ARTOIS
Origin & Meanings
- (LocaL) From the province of Artois in the Netherlands.
- Local. From Tournay, a town in Artois, France, and may signify the tower or castle near the water. Tierna, in Gaelic, written Tighearna, means a landlord, a lord, or judge, and was applied to all great men, and is derived, according to Dr. MacPherson, from te or ti, an old word for one, and eren, land, as implying a landed gentleman; I think the root of the name is Tir, land, and earr or earran, a division, share, or portion.
- Local. From the town of Bethune, a fortified town, and capital of a county in Artois, Netherlands.
- Local. Derived from the town of Hazebrouck, in the province of Artois, France.
- (Fr.) Local. Derived from the town of Douay, in the province of Artois, France.
Map & Statistics